Thread: [PC] Whoa, the walls are melting! (Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend)

Blog Entries

[PC] Whoa, the walls are melting! (Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend)

NOT QUITE A NEW LP BUT THIS IS A NEW THREAD THEREFORE ANY GUARANTEES AGAINST HALLUCINATIONS ARE NOW NULL
    Name: Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend with A Week in Paradise
    Release date (NA): May 12, 2005
    Started: October 24, 2012 July 23, 2013
    Ended: October 21, 2013
    Description: It's probably a very bad sign that I'm going back on two promises in a single post. No wonder CoD4 took a whole year to finish.

Apocalypse Weekend, an expansion to Postal 2 released two years after it, adds new features such as dismemberment, zombies that spout compound swears at you (both of which you've already seen because of AWP, actually), and new areas to dismember these rude zombies in. The story is that, having shot himself in the head at the end of the base game, the Postal Dude awakens in a hospital (which does not seem to be the same one we saw in the base game, which is odd as that was the only one in the city) and learns that his trailer is being repossessed, Champ is going to be put to sleep, and his bitch is leaving him (at least the news isn't all bad).

And then he starts hallucinating some shit.

In all honesty? This is not a very good expansion. It's shorter, obviously, but it's also much more difficult and way too prone to crashing. Plus there's no multiplayer component, meaning there's also no multiplayer for AWP. I figured, though, I've been able to make it through the expansion more than once, and I was perfectly fine putting up with crashing in the base game caused by it while finishing that LP, so I figured why not go ahead and make it the best Postal 2 LP ever by actually playing the expansion as well?

Levels in Apocalypse Weekend don't work the way they did in the base game. This is an extremely linear expansion - it's more in-line with the original Postal than the second.

Alternate OP as I put it on Something Awful:

Quote Originally Posted by Kadorhal

Postal 2 was a game that was a little bit buggy, but was overall good mostly for the catharsis factor in slaughtering as many people as you want with little to no consequence. Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend decided it was done with that shit. The maps and objectives are now linear, combat is forced for nearly the entire run, health and ammo to use in said combat is a lot more limited than it reasonably should be, and they add actually-useful melee weapons but then make every enemy you come across immune to them. Other than that GoG and Steam don't sell the expansion separately, the only good reason anyone should have for owning this is that A Week in Paradise requires it - on its own, there's next to nothing redeeming about Apocalypse Weekend.

SATURDAY
    Hospital
    Restaurant, Cow Murder
    Pigeon Mission, B_______ Interactive

SUNDAY
    Mansion, Elephant Hunting
    Terrorist Training Camp
    Military Base
    B_______ Interactive Redux, Dog Pound
    The Bridge
    Last edited by Kadorhal; 22nd October 2013 at 12:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath-Dragonatrix
    Now I could be wrong about that, but I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krimsh View Post
    Every time you think someone hits bottom they go and find themselves a shovel.

Yeah, doesn't look anywhere near as fun as the original game; did they just tack this on quickly, or were they looking to take a completely different route with the series afterwards?
    Quote Originally Posted by SakimotoFanboy
    Eh, see, sonny. Back in my day, we called it "goin' to the final base". But you kids these days, you probably talk about 'levelling up your mount".

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumCrayons View Post
    or were they looking to take a completely different route with the series afterwards?
    Well considering that everyone says Postal 3 is a piece of shit...
    ↓ There are some dick jokes here ↓

Quote Originally Posted by SuccinctAndPunchy
    I HAVE CLIMBED TO THE SUMMIT OF COCK MOUNTAIN
    AND MAN IS THE NEW SMASH BROS COOL
    NOW I MUST DESCEND TO THE PENISULA
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsGamer
    Well, I've been needing to change my sig for a while now
    Quote Originally Posted by SuccinctAndPunchy
    you can't use my quote we're from different cocktinents
    that is a rule now
    my dick doth decree

Worldbringer and God Among Men Speedyard's Avatar
    Surrounded by an aura of mystery and manners.
    This game is certainly weird. It's strange how the main character has a stereotypical "great voice" and sounds so very sleazy. The cats are funny, though.
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Blog Entries
    Hey this thing's not dead anymore. Have a new, more complete first part, and then have second and third parts to go with it.
    Also also, this is now being cross-posted from SA! Specifically, from the Bad Games thread, standing tall among such other shit as Aliens: Colonial Marines, Dead Island, and P.N.03.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadorhal

Saturday: Pigeon Mission, B_______ Interactive

This area is actually sorta fun in that it introduces the Machete, which is basically the best weapon in the entire game. It's just a shame that there's pretty much no use for it once you finish here. And, spoilers for later in the game, once you do need the machete, the game takes it from you and never gives it back.

There may be a bit of a delay in getting the next episode up. Once it's up, though, depending on how aggressively Audacity butchers my audio in editing, I should be able to get the rest of the game up within a week or so.
    Last edited by Kadorhal; 8th August 2013 at 05:26 AM.

Magical Truthsaying Bastard IGgy's Avatar
    Is it just me or is the first part unavailable? It might be due to copyrighting stuff but the blurp about GEMA holding the rights to some of the content of the video isn't there so I'm not sure.
    >:(

"Sometimes I wish I were a big revolutionary, bringing about change and making everything better. Then again: I'll likely go down in history as a madman. Or even worse: On T-Shirts!" -????

C-:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IGgy View Post
    Is it just me or is the first part unavailable? It might be due to copyrighting stuff but the blurp about GEMA holding the rights to some of the content of the video isn't there so I'm not sure.
    Nope, it's unavailable for me too. Shame.

The other ones play fine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black
    more subs = more correct

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's on me - somehow I copied the URL from the old, deleted video instead of the one that's actually up. I don't know how, but it happened.
    Fixed it now, though, I think.

Blog Entries
    Hey so this thing's not dead for real this time.

Really! I have all but the final video ready to go, so I'll just be putting them up every couple of days and then put Apocalypse Weekend (and, possibly, combining Postal 2 with Fraps like I've been doing for five years now) behind me entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by me on SA

Sunday: Mansion, Elephant Hunting

Okay, yeah, I'm really late with this one.
    I blame an upcoming level that is the absolute lowest point of the game - I didn't have the hard drive space to get through it in one go, so it took me about a month before I was willing to go back to it to finish the video.
    As promised, though, I'll be putting the next videos up every two or three days to the end. Assuming my wireless Internet adapter's drivers don't keep disappearing halfway through the upload like they did the first time I tried to get this up today.

Blog Entries
    Part 2 of Sunday. Welcome to the downward spiral, friends.

Blog Entries
    Have another two videos. One more to go and then I'm done with this shit.

Also have bonus content!

Blog Entries
    It's over.

There are hints in the video, see if you can guess what my next LP will be.